Sunday 20 September 2009

New times!

I’m sitting on the sofa in the apartment, and in the same room, Håkan is lying in my bed, ready to sleep his first night at home. In other words, Håkan is on an overnight leave – imagine that! We have good sofas, so I’m lying on one of them. It’s nice to be in the same room, in case he needs anything.

Can you imagine how quick his progress has been? He can walk, he can stand, he can raise himself up, and he’s getting better at using his hands. As they say, “Practice makes perfect.”

There he lies – my husband – on his back, as he’s always done, but now he has some aids to keep him in the right position, with splints on his hands, plastic cups over his eyes, pillow under his legs, and the cute little gauze bandage cap on his head. I’m filled with such thankfulness. Imagine that we can still be together. It’s only by the grace of God that we are all alive.

Tomorrow I will drive Håkan back to his ward, before my music class at the school. After that, there is a care-planning meeting at the hospital, for Håkan’s future, so it’s good that I have a free hour in my schedule.

On Tuesday, there are two appointments at the hospital, one with the social welfare officer, and after that, I will meet a doctor.

Håkan has received an appointment for the eye operation on his left eyelid on the 30th of September, in the morning, down in Gothenburg, at Sahlgrenska. Please pray that the operation will go well.

Today I saw that his eyelashes are starting to come back also.

The hand surgeons’ office at Sahlgrenska has sent Håkan an appointment. Wednesday the 14th of October it’s time for Håkan’s hands. We are so thankful that he got in so quickly. New times for both Håkan’s eyes and hands.

Håkan is listening to the Bible on CD, in Swedish, and yesterday Lena Forsén came with a CD-Bible in English. It’s good for the pastor to take in the Word of God, now by listening.

Now he’s soughing so well. It’s music to my ears; I haven’t heard it for 201 days. New times, as in old times!

All of the kids who live in the area have been at home today with Dad and Grandpa. We notice that Håkan can manage more, but still, he tires quickly of everything happening around him.

“…who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.”
Ps. 103:3-5

God bless you all!
Hugs,
Gunilla

No comments:

Post a Comment