Friday 12 June 2009

Cozy day with Dad

Mom said that I chirped on the telephone when I rang her on the way home from Gothenburg, Sahlgrenska. I was so filled with my visit. At last, Dad has come closer to us. What a difference, to be able to just drive down in an afternoon like that, and then still have energy left over when I come home! Wonderful!

When I came in through the door and said ”Hi”, Dad answered at once, ”Is that Johanna?”, before he had even seen me. What a feeling! I got to decorate his room a little. His whole room in Linköping was full of photographs and drawings, but here the walls were completely white. It became more homey at once. I even read out of one of his favorite books, a prayer book. Then I got to help him with a meal. It feels so good to be able to do something for my fine Dad.

We talked about everything possible. He was very with it the whole time. He said that he had exercised a lot in recent days. “They’re pushing me hard here!” He even told me about his helicopter ride, and he thought it was okay, but he was so tired afterward. That’s understandable! We even got into the night of the 3rd of March. For the first time, he told about how he went down the stairs and how he managed to get out of the house with Mom’s help. He stopped briefly, and then said that “It is, of course, fantastic that everyone got off as well as they did! Although, I did get a bit, of course.”

Yes, beloved Dad, he really did get it. But I am so proud of him – how he has managed to get through this – against all odds! And to see the difference now, only from last Saturday, was fantastic, both in how the skin has become nicer, but even in how much we could share with each other. We really had a cozy time, just Dad and I.

I want to close by directing a special thanks to everyone who is with us in thoughts, prayers and nice gestures. They are really needed!

Many warm greetings
Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment