Thursday 28 May 2009

What happiness, what a feeling, what a wonderful day!

Yesterday, Wednesday, I left Uddevalla with my sights set on Linköping and a visit with my husband, Håkan. I’ve been very tired lately, and realized that it would be good to be able to talk to Håkan about many of the things I’ve been bearing. The last few times I’d visited Håkan, he’d just been operated on or had his bandages changed, so he was tired and I couldn’t speak to him about the important things that I had on my mind.

When I called in the morning, they said the operation would be tomorrow (Thursday). That’s when I jumped in the car and drove to Linköping. I sent text messages as I drove, so I knew there was prayer support for the trip and the day. This was the first time I’d gone alone to visit Håkan. As you might imagine, it’s emotionally taxing to drive up alone, with 8-9 hours in the car, because there is a lot to process after visiting with Håkan for several hours at the hospital.

The sun was shining. It was only my little lavender-pink Jazz and a bunch of trucks driving along in the wind; I had to hold the steering wheel with both hands. I made it in 4 hours, even with a coffee break along the way.

When I came into the room, Håkan was sitting up halfway in a special chair with a belt, so he wouldn’t fall. He’s training several hours a day sitting in that chair and it’s also good for his lungs. Håkan was very clear and it was good to be able to talk about the things that had been on my heart for a long time.

Håkan should have been in Kenya now, with several leaders and younger guys. He was well aware of that. We spoke about that and the next question was naturally, “What should we do with the outreach we’ve planned for the fall?” The answer came from Håkan direct, “I’ve already thought about that. We carry on. You go…” We talked about the conference, ”Building,” at Gullbrännagården, and the trip to England that we’d bought tickets for before the fire.

He took my hand and this time it was Håkan who squeezed, ”I love you,” with his left thumb, which seems to be the least injured one. What a feeling! When I stood in front of him he expressed how beautiful my hair was, especially in the sunshine. I think he’s glad that only a little of my hair got destroyed when I rescued him from the fire – I had my hair in a braid, of course. Thank goodness for everything good we have the grace to experience!

We prayed and started singing praise songs together, among others:

“In You, my God, I trust,
when worry dims my view of tomorrow,
because I know that you are faithful toward me.
When difficulties surround me,
I’m still secure with you,
because I know that you never leave me.
Whether it’s night or day,
Lord, I trust in You.
God, You are always near me.
You never change.
You are my future’s sure foundation,
You who stand fast by your covenant.
You are my rock, Almighty God.
I give You the glory.”

I told Håkan what that song has meant for me these past months. He mentioned which ones he had sung inside himself, among others, Martin Luther’s old Psalm:

“A mighty fortress is our God,
A bulwark never failing;
Our helper He amid the flood
Of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe
Doth seek to work us woe --
His craft and pow'r are great,
And armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide
Our striving would be losing,
Were not the right Man on our side,
The Man of God's own choosing.
Dost ask who that may be?
Christ Jesus, it is He --
Lord Sabaoth His name,
From age to age the same --
And He must win the battle.”

Yes, Håkan receives strength for every day through the Word, songs and prayer. Thank you, Jesus!

”I love you; you are mine forever!” And the answer was, “I love you also, and I’m yours forever!”

What happiness, what a feeling, what a wonderful day!
Thank you for all the books, for all the things for our apartment, for all the gifts and money, for all the flowers, postcards, and greetings on the blog – without you, life would have been a lot harder to bear right now. We feel so loved, by God and all of you! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Thanks for continuing to pray for Håkan.

God bless you all!
Hugs,
Gunilla

1 comment:

  1. Tack Gunilla för dina härligt öppna ord. Jag blir själv uppmuntrad! Jag tror att ni får vara ett enormt vittne i vad det betyder att vara trogen "i sjukdom och i hälsa"! Jag ber för er.

    En syster från Ljungskile, Astrid Klomp

    ReplyDelete