Monday 27 April 2009

Surrender

Every morning since the 70’s, sometime between being asleep and awake, I’ve started the day with a prayer of surrender. “Lord, lead me day by day. I want to be in your will, even if it takes me through suffering. When my path appears long, I pray that You, Lord, time after time, lead me home, where You are…”

Somewhere there, I’ve woken up and continue with Psalm 23. “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want…”

This is surrender, rest, security, thankfulness, prayer… After that Psalm, I am so filled by an inner strength, that I just know that the Lord will be with me, even this day, and by grace I will be lead by Him one more day of my life…what grace…

For many years, I’ve tried every day to help others and see their needs, and with God’s help, give something to the people I meet. In the position we’re in right now, I’m in a place of rest, and friends, siblings and other people get to surround us with their thoughts and prayers, so that we feel borne by God and all of you.

I want to thank you for the commitment you have to stand with us in this. Håkan is being paid back for all he’s spoken out about unity, and all the prayers he’s prayed for change. Now you are involved in serving with your prayers.

Josefina was with her dad this weekend, and she was the first to speak with him after a speaking valve had been attached to the tracheostomy tube in his neck. They chatted short periods both in Swedish and English. Josefina got to rub lotion on Håkan’s face and shoulders, which have healed so well.

She read Psalm 23 and Jesus’ final words to his disciples in John 14. “…Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid…” Josefina sang song after song and prayed the Lord’s Prayer, and Håkan prayed along throughout the prayer. When Josefina was going to leave, Håkan wanted them to put in the speaking valve again. Josefina asked him what he wanted to say. He answered, ”I love you” and ”Take care.” That was a good conclusion for Josefina’s weekend by her dad’s side.

On Monday, Janne, Anders, Grant and Harry will visit Håkan and take a bottle of oil with them. ”…You anoint my head with oil...” Then it’s my turn again…

Thanks… We’ll hear again… You’ll get a report after Monday’s visit.

God bless you!

Gunilla

1 comment:

  1. Dear Gunilla,
    Thanks again for your encouraging report. We continue to pray daily for Hakan. It is so awesome to hear of God's great healing and enabling power and also to witness His gathering and unifying work among His people. You wrote in your blog about giving to others everyday with God's help. Well, I can say that you have given much to me as you write and share your thoughts in this blog! Thank you!! Be encouraged and strengthened, dear sister. God is doing a great thing with you and your family and touching many lives because of it! I want to adopt your morning prayer for myself--Is that okay?
    Send greetings to Bella, Johanna, Daniel, Emilie, Mohammad, Neeta, Jan, Janne & Elizabeth, Harry & Bergita, Thomas & Camilla, Anders & his wife, and all the others especially Hakan.
    We will meet in prayer for Hakan.
    Your friend,
    Suellen Shepherd
    Countryside Christian Community
    Odessa, Missouri
    USA

    ReplyDelete