Wednesday 29 April 2009

Yes, now it was my turn again…

It was with great expectation that we drove up to Linköping again. Yesterday, Margareta – who is called Lillan in the family – called. She has taken over the responsibility after her brother, Per-Göran, of calling the hospital every day and speaking with the personnel to get the daily report on Håkan’s condition. When she called, she heard her brother, Håkan, say in the background, “Hi, Lillan.” Can you understand how she felt? We cried tears of joy. She called Per-Göran, and he also called the hospital and got to hear his brother Håkan’s voice.

Tuesday was a good day when Håkan rested from bathing and redressing his bandages, so Jakob and I drove up so we could meet Håkan a little more awake this time. Since it’s been decided who will renovate our house, I wanted Håkan to be involved in the whole process from the beginning.

Spring is the most beautiful time of the year to travel around Sweden. My mom and I, when she was living, used to take a trip in the car every year about this time. Now we follow the progress of spring as we make our regular trips between Uddevalla and Linköping. The wood anemone is the prettiest spring flower we have, and my thoughts turn at once to Håkan.

When Håkan was 19 years old, he met God very powerfully. Then he saw the wood anemone for the first time in his life. Håkan usually says that it was that spring that God created the wood anemone for the first time. But, of course, isn’t it so that the more I have of the Lord in my life, the more I see the beauty around me. I become one with God, the Creator, one with creation, and can be joyful over being one with creation, since the God of creation is my God, and I am His child. That is amazing!

When we arrived in the middle of Håkan’s physical therapy, I said, ”Hi, Håkan” and he answered, ”That is a voice I recognize.” When they had put him back in bed, Håkan took a break before they put the speaking valve back in again. We spoke about the floor plans for the second floor. It was so nice that Håkan could get involved in the plans for the house, before they start tearing down the walls and ceiling.

Håkan appreciated that part of the leadership of the church came to visit him on Monday and anointed him with oil. “Fantastic,” he said twice.

What a great feeling – it’s hard to find the words to describe how it feels to just stand there. I can’t get enough of looking at Håkan. He’s alive and getting better every day – such a difference after only a week. I’m completely filled with thanksgiving. Some parts of Håkan’s exterior might not look like they used to, but his character and spirit are the same. After all we’re going through now, we’ll surely grow even deeper.

We sang, talked, sang, read some Bible verses, prayed together, and Håkan was with us the whole time. I am so proud of my husband who is so calm, secure, and has such courage in this situation. Thank you, Lord!

The final word which Håkan sent with us was, ”I love you all!”

We continue to pray for Håkan. Thank you that you’re also with us in prayer.

God bless you!
Hugs,
Gunilla

2 comments:

  1. Dear Gunilla,
    As I read your posts my heart is always deeply touched by your strength in the midst of this trial, as well as your deep love for Jesus and for Hakan! Your unwavering faith is a testimony to all who come here to read how things are going!

    Our church continues to pray daily for Hakan! I send parts of your blog to the church, as well as the updates Dave Richards sends to us. We will pray for all of you until we see Hakan fully recovered and walking out the door of the hospital!

    Although I have never personally met you, I deeply care and want you to know that you and Hakan and your family are written on our hearts!

    With love in Jesus,
    Cheri White
    Christ's Family Church
    Omaha, Nebraska USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Gunilla,
    What a wonderful report! Thanks again for keeping us updated and also for sharing important details about what you are feeling. It is so wonderful that Hakan is recovering so quickly. He seems to be making amazing progress! The Lord is so good! I remember Sweden in the springtime and it is truly beautiful! Take care. Send Hakan our love. You are in our prayers daily.
    Love, Suellen Shepherd
    Odessa, Missouri USA

    ReplyDelete